Monday, August 25, 2014

Summer Reading

I meant to write over this summer. And some words did get put to paper, but nothing substantial enough to place here. However, there was something else that was just as worthwhile.
Upon moving to a new state, one of the first things that I did was get myself a library card. And boy, did I use it. My wife probably wishes I had spent more time with her this past July than in the various mystical realms I ventured. Don't worry, we went to the Zoo so all is well.
Here is my list, as well as a brief synopsis and review, of the 10 books I read this summer (mostly in July and August).

      1.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, by JK Rowing.
      2.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
I grouped these two together because I have already read them countless times before. It felt like a good time to read them again, a chance to walk down memory lane. And I can’t help but ask myself, ‘Now that I've seen the movie versions, does that change my perspective on the books themselves?’ I especially thought about this reading #2.
      3. Chains, by Laurie Hals Anderson
This is a historical fiction piece about a young slave girl and the Revolutionary War. It was a very good read, and I was extremely surprised to find that it ended in a cliff hanger and moved on in a series. The interesting part, her master is a large supporter of the British. So this book serves as look at the opposing sides.
      4.  Five Kingdoms: Sky Raiders, by Brandon Mull
I am a big Brandon Mull fan. I have read both the Fablehaven and Beyonders series and I rejoiced to hear about both this new series and an eventual 2nd series to Fablehaven. So when I found this at the library, I was so excited. But after the first few chapters, I wondered what had happened to my man B Mull. But I continued and was completely satisfied by the end, which capped the story well but set it up nicely for the next one. The fantasy is just as imaginative as his previous books, but, you've got to let him set it up first.
       5. The Magic Thief, by Sarah Prineas
       6. The Magic Thief: Lost
       7. The Magic Thief: Found
A couple of years ago, my wife and I listened to the first book of this series as we drove across Wyoming. I really enjoyed it as it places an unlikely hero into the spotlight: a street urchin pickpocket becomes a wizard’s apprentice. I spotted the book at the library and saw it had two other books. So I got them all. The first can stand alone and is the best of the lot. The other two should be read together. The mythology behind the story is really unique (involving the nature and existence of magic). But, the first is the best of the three.
       8.The Rithmatist, by Brandon Sanderson
This was the first book that really made me think this summer. It is technically a fantasy, and the magic system was awesome. If you think combining religion, geometry and sidewalk chalk into a magical form while living in an alternate version of our current world and history sounds intriguing, this is the book for you. And to through in an interesting mystery to boot, sign me up for the whole series! Unfortunately, the rest of the series is on hiatus while B Sanderson finishes the bazillions of other books he is working on.
       9. Steelheart, by Brandon Sanderson
I loved the previous book so much that I wanted another from Mr. Sanderson. And this one did not disappoint. A science fiction romp through an alternate history of Chicago, the story tells about a calamity that gave certain people on earth ‘superpowers.’ However, instead of becoming heroes, the men and women become tyrants, egotistical, and willing to destroy all civilization on a whim. The story follows a young man who sees his father murdered in front of his eyes by Steelheart, a villain with powers similar to those of Superman. Already, this book is generating buzz in the realm of cinema as a new tent-pole feature. Dystopia? Check. Superpowers? Check. Something entirely different from anything else out there? Read it and see.
    10. The Accidental Hero, by Matt Myklusch.
I saw this book at the store a few years ago, thought it seemed interesting, and then forgot about it until I saw it at the library. I had a few days before school started (and I wanted a clean 10 books), so I gave it a try. It is very imaginative, but you can tell in the first few chapters that it is the author’s freshman effort. However, by the middle of the story, I was so caught up in the story that it was easy to look past some of the writing quirks to enjoy the engaging story. To catch the bug, the author splits the power of imagination into 6 groups: Medieval times, the Far East (Ninjas and Samurai), Espionage, Aliens, the Future/Technology, and Superheroes/villains. Throw in an intergalactic viral alien entity for good measure. It was a satisfactory end to a good summer of reading. And yes, there are at least two more books in the series. Something to look forward to.


Well, that’s my list. If you would like to know any more about the books or just want to talk about them having read them, feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment