Monday, February 9, 2015

Advice on Careers

I have been asked this question several times: what advice do you have in pursuing potential careers, such as in the education/training you should get? I know I haven’t figured it out completely myself, but this is advice I have gleaned from other sources, and I think it is important to share.

There are three things to consider when deciding on a potential career:
1)      What do you enjoying doing?
Many would say that this is most important of all. Why be miserable in a job for the rest of your life? However, this is also the area that needs to be the most flexible towards the other two. First and foremost, you need to get into a position that you can at least tolerate. Find the silver lining in the job. Then, take those things that you really enjoy and develop them as hobbies. If you get really good at that hobby, then consider switching it to full time.
2)      What are you good at doing?
To me, this is also a little fluid, as most jobs will provide some training to get you to the level you need to be at. However, you have to have some background in the area for you to be considered as a viable candidate for the position. You wouldn’t apply for a position in astrophysics if you are horrible at calculus and relativistic physics.
3)      Can you get paid (well) to do the task?
There is a reason that the joke goes that starting actors end up waiting tables: they may enjoy it and they might be good, but there are only so many paying positions to go around. What skills do you have that are marketable? Granted, if you are good enough at what you do, there will be someone around who will be willing to pay for what you have. But we all have multiple skills, and some will help you pay the bills better than others.

Good careers will cover two of the three. Dream careers cover all 3.
Note: Not all dream careers are found by getting an academic degree. I have known several blue collar workers who loved what they did, no college education needed. Yes, it is helpful and it can help open doors. But is it always necessary? Certainly not.

My own story:
I recently left graduate school after setting up my entire career path towards getting a PhD in physics and then going into research. Why? As I was sitting in classes, I was just not enjoying myself. I looked forward more to being out of classes than in them. And as I pondered, I realized that is what my future held: endless equations and frustrating days in front of an equation that would not yield. I know there are those who love this, and I sometimes liked the mystery of it all. But I realized that my true passion stemmed from helping others improve themselves.

So I left, and starting applying for jobs meeting my skill set: a background in science and some programming, with the ability to help people and improve daily lives. I am still on the hunt (as the change is new), but there are some good prospects that hold a lot of promise. Will they be my “dream job?” Maybe yes, maybe no. But, what I do know is that I feel hopeful for the future ahead because I really feel that I am moving in the direction of fulfilling all three areas of the career realm.

4 comments:

  1. This isn't my normal creative side, but it has been something on my mind as of late, and it feels good to get down on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! There are so many types of learning and education, and not all of them have to cost lots of $$$$$ or end with a fancy title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great points. I'm in a similar situation to what you were, but I'm still going back and forth as to whether my current path satisfies questions 1 and 2. I'm grateful to see these points put in plain terms--figuring out what questions need to be asked has made deciding what to do more difficult, so this is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I'm fortunate enough to have found a career path that so far meets the first two. School is simply a tool at this point to enable me to meet that third criterion. Gotta have the paper.

    ReplyDelete