Saturday, November 22, 2014

Gifts

                It always perplexing to me to see someone throw away a gift. A child plays with a new toy then leaves it to gather dust and sorrow for something shinier and new. A man finds the wondrous gift of love and then leaves her shackled to home and offspring in the pursuit of those younger and more pleasing to the eye.

                Once again, the gift I gave the world was being thrown back in my face. I gave order and enlightenment, and now, a 200-lbs brute with mangy hair and darkened eyes had his hand around my throat, my aging frame pressed against the wall.

                “I want to see you quiver in fear as the light leaves your eyes, Chairman.”

                I scoffed, the effort made difficult with the pressure against my windpipes. “I see more fear in your blackened heart than could ever be made to show forth from any part of my body, coward.” And, as always in these situations, I pressed the button I kept on my right lapel with one of my thumbs.

                As in all the previous iterations, his grip began to weaken.

                “What… what is this?” He said, his voice elevated, the foul odor of the fear in his heart leaking out into the room.

                He soon slumped to the floor, followed by his comrade that had been keeping watch at the door. Her face smashed against the wall as she fell and left a bright red splotch of red on the light blue paint.

                After catching my breath and messaging my throat, I allowed an answer. “I took away the gift I once gave you. I granted you godhood amongst men, and now, I have ripped it away from your ungrateful soul.”

                A look of bewilderment crossed his eyes. I leaned down over him, studying his quivering form.

                “The key to the serum that gave you your strength was an enzyme I developed long ago. This enzyme acted as a… holder… to keep your genetic code open.”

                He was still lost, but, a good teacher never gives up on a lecture.

                “You see, the genes that enable you to have these powers act like a spring. They can be read and utilized when they are stretched open, but they resist it. So, the enzyme keeps the gene open to be read, to be manipulated by proteins in your body, and to be made manifest in the powers that you no longer have.”

                I stood, and kicked the man in the groin. Not too hard, but enough to hear a moan escape his quivering lips. He had squeezed harder then previous assaulters; I would have to see a doctor to evaluate damage the next day.

                I continued. “But if that enzyme were to detach, as the ones in your body just did, you would once again become just another member of the sea of nothingness that makes up humanity. And all it takes to do so is a specific low frequency radio wave, which is now being broadcast in this room.”

                I walked a few feet over to my desk, righting the toppled chair in which I had been sitting. I was unafraid of the man lying prone on my floor: the effects due to the loss of Numinousity had previously been shown to last a full 30 minutes. I pressed the red button under the desk, summoning security.

 I sat back down to continue reading the file that had crossed my desk, yet another ingrate who had to be eliminated. This one had been younger, and his termination, although unfortunate, had given important data concerning the effectiveness of the new monitoring nanobot technology coming out of the lab.

                The sound of a groan brought me back out of the file. I looked up to see the brute trying to prop himself up on his elbows. The gall of the man. And then he spoke, his voice strained.

                “You bastard. We are all just an experiment to you.”

                I studied him as he struggled to rise. He barely managed a few inches, and then the security hustled in, guns drawn.

                I addressed them. “The one by the door is of no use to me. Remove her and do what is necessary.”

                Half the group saluted, then shouldered the rifles and lifted the prostrate woman into the air. The man on the floor moaned again, the sound forming something like a name.

                “And this one. Take him to the lab. He showed interesting potential, a certain resilience as you would.”

                He lifted his head, and stared at me. The stench of fear grew strong again.

                “He may have rejected his gift, but he will still help in giving a gift to humanity.”
 

1 comment:

  1. As always, this draft is rough. Any tips for improvement are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete